Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Cake and frosting

Came across this blog post and I LOVE it because its exactly my problem. Way too much frosting, not enough cake. In other words, why do I sew things, and spend my money and time sewing things, that I will wear a couple of times (MAYBE!) and then sit in my closet for eternity? Its infuriating! I rarely wear high-waisted, brocade skirts, but that's the last thing I made. At least I decided not to make the brocade minidress cause that would get far less circulation than the skirt.

I'm about to leave on a 6 week trip, taking me to a mountaintop in Chile and then onto Los Angeles. Brocade skirts will not make the packing list for the one piece of luggage. Highly washable and interchangeable t-shirts and jeans will make the cut. This is why, back in January, when I was on another trip, this time to Austin, TX, and I wore my supernice, but very difficult to wash Anthropologie sweater to a BBQ place and then realized I couldn't wear it again on the trip cause it smelled like a smokehouse, that my resolution was to amass not only a streamlined, washable set of travel outfits, but to sew a streamlined, washable set of travel outfits. This requires lots and lots of cake.

My profession is not a frosting profession. The men wear cargo shorts and birkenstocks, the women wear jeans and T's. If I wear a skirt or a dress to work, I invariably get asked, "laundry day." And yes, a lot of the time it is in fact laundry day. But that's not how I want to present myself, I want a little bit of frosting, I want some fun. So I propose cake patterns with frosting fabrics or vice versa. For example, I think Sencha is a fairly cake pattern.


but doll Sencha up in some neon yellow print and


magic!

Throw that on with some skinny jeans, nice sandals, and a bracelet and its remarkably appropriate for my job! And hey, its washable too. Its cake and just the right amount of frosting.


 
Frosting dress pattern, but in basic black or gray (washable!), it's got some cake too. An easy blazer hides the cutout back until its dessert time.

So that's my goal for the next many months. Make some cake, apply a little frosting. Unfortunately, I'll be 3,000-5,000 miles away from home and a sewing machine for 6 weeks so it'll be put on hold, but the goal is there. 

Its baking one might say. 

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea! I hope you find lots of cake patterns and lovely fabrics to help you carry out your goal! I will help you fabric shop if we have time.

    ReplyDelete